2017 Tree Giveaway
Registration for the 2017 Community Tree Giveaway is NOW OPEN! Please read our Frequently Asked Questions for all eligibility requirements.
KDB’s 2017 Community Tree Giveaway is Saturday, October 21 from 8 a.m. to noon. Participants must register in advance in order to receive a free 3-gallon size tree, with a limit of one tree per residence. Only City of Denton residents and utility customers are eligible to receive a tree through this program.
ABOUT OUR TREE OPTIONS
All tree species offered are native or adapted to the North Texas climate and soil. This year’s tree species options are Chinkapin Oak, Lacebark Elm, Little Gem Magnolia, Mexican White Oak, Native Pecan, Sweetgum, and Texas Redbud. To learn more about each of these species and availability, read our 2017 Tree Species Guide.
2017 Tree Giveaway participants are encouraged to visit the event participant information to learn more about the Tree Giveaway.
Trees are Terrific!
Planting new trees enhances Denton’s urban canopy and helps our city thrive! Trees are vital for sustainable community growth, economic vitality, and public health. They also:
- beautify neighborhoods and public spaces;
- increase property values;
- lower energy consumption of homes and businesses;
- boost consumer spending; and
- encourage outdoor physical activity.
Help your tree get a healthy start!
Read through these resources BEFORE you plant:
- Select the right location to plant your tree
- “Call before you dig” – Dial 811 to have underground utility lines marked for free!
- Plant your tree properly (yes, there are MANY wrong ways to plant a tree!)
- Keep your tree growing and thriving with good pruning practices
- Get the kids in your life involved in planting and caring for your tree! Check out PBS’ Plum Landing series online for a great tree planting video and other fun ideas.
For more information on how to properly plant trees, and the importance of trees in our community, visit the KDB Resources Page and look under Urban Forestry.