Spring cleanups are a lot of fun! The weather is warming up, trees are budding, flowers are blooming, and Denton’s largest and longest-running cleanup, the Great American Cleanup, brings us all together. But, cleaning up litter is a year-round job, and we can always use the help of volunteers to keep neighborhoods, parks and trails, and roadways clean.
Keep America Beautiful (KAB) recently published the 2020 Litter Study available for download here along with their “Top Line Results” on their website. If you’re interested, it’s a wealth of great information, but if you’re looking for a quick version, here are our TOP TWO:
- Millions of volunteers participate in KAB programs such as the Great American Cleanup and have recorded picking up over half a billion pounds of litter and debris over the last decade. YOU are part of this effort for large-scale national change, and that gives us all the feels!
- If everyone in the United States cleaned up 152 pieces of litter at the same time, there would be no litter in America until someone littered again. #152andyou
So, what to do next? In addition to Denton’s annual cleanup events like the Great American Cleanup and Stream Clean, KDB has three year-round programs. Supplies are provided in exchange for a report to help us share volunteer impact and track the hard work being done by you, our volunteers.
1. Meetup Cleanups are volunteer opportunities to clean up a street or neighborhood in Denton. These cleanups are flexible around your schedule and group size.
- Meetup Cleanups make great plogging activities, aka picking up litter while jogging.
- We collaborate with the City of Denton’s Solid Waste & Recycling Department to offer residential services and recycling presentations in coordination with a neighborhood litter cleanup.
2. Adopt-A-Spot is a recurring cleanup program for individuals or groups at a designated location. The program requires a two-year commitment with four cleanups per year, one per quarter. All locations are presently adopted, but we anticipate adding more locations soon! Meetup Cleanups are a great option in the meantime.
3. The Cigarette Litter Prevention Program focuses on the placement of receptacles to maximize their usage and minimize butts littered on the ground. We host cigarette litter-focused cleanups as well as cigarette litter scans. These scans help us know how effective the receptacles are at diverting trash from becoming litter.
If interested in scheduling a litter cleanup or with questions, contact Carly Weld, email@example.com.