Yard of the Month
About Yard of the Month
Yard of the Month recognizes Denton citizens who contribute to the overall aesthetics and health of our city by maintaining exceptionally clean and beautiful properties. Nominations for the program are open to the public from March through November of each year, and our volunteer judges recognize several “Yards of the Month” from all over Denton with our signature yard signs. Please note that a yard can only win the award once every three years.
Have you seen a yard that’s worthy of being honored as “Yard of the Month?” Nominate a Yard!
Want to see previous Yard of the Month honorees? Check out our wrap-ups from the 2019 program year.
Nomination CriteriaTo be considered for the Yard of the Month Program, a property must:
- Be well-groomed (properties can have a natural, wild-scape appearance, but grass must be mowed, and the perimeter of the property must be edged);
- Be attractive and pleasing to the eye (eg. green lawn; a variety of plants such as trees, shrubs, ground cover, flowers, wildflowers; plants with a variety of heights, textures, and colors; landscape features such as fountains, large rocks in beds, etc.);
- Have buildings, fences, porches, and patios in good condition (i.e. minimal distraction from the landscape due to deterioration, damage or construction);
- Have invested extra effort through the use of attractive art pieces (eg. pottery, ironwork), potted plants, birdhouses, patio or lawn furniture, windsocks, decorative mailboxes, etc. *Natural landscape should be the primary focus;
- Be free of litter, junk and debris (no appliances or indoor furniture on porches or patios; free of junked or inoperable vehicles; no parking on the lawn).