2018 Tree Giveaway
The 2018 Community Tree Giveaway is Saturday, Oct. 27. Registration is NOW CLOSED. Registration filled up in record time – in just 25 hours. If you missed it, be sure to sign up for our waiting list.
Occasionally, Tree Giveaway participants will withdraw their registration or relinquish their tree. Because we want to be sure all our trees find a home, KDB is offering a waiting list option for those interested in being notified should any trees become available. As with the Giveaway registration itself, the waiting list will be handled on a first come, first served basis.
Participants must register in advance in order to receive a free 3-gallon size tree, with a limit of one tree per residence. Only City of Denton residents and Denton Municipal Electric utility customers are eligible to receive a tree through this program. Please read our Frequently Asked Questions.
Trees are Terrific!
Planting new trees enhances Denton’s urban canopy and helps our city thrive! Trees are vital for sustainable community growth, economic vitality, and public health. They also:
- beautify neighborhoods and public spaces;
- increase property values;
- lower energy consumption of homes and businesses;
- boost consumer spending; and
- encourage outdoor physical activity.
Help your tree get a healthy start!
Read through these resources BEFORE you plant:
- Select the right location to plant your tree
- “Call before you dig” – Dial 811 to have underground utility lines marked for free!
- Plant your tree properly (yes, there are MANY wrong ways to plant a tree!)
- Keep your tree growing and thriving with good pruning practices
- Get the kids in your life involved in planting and caring for your tree! Check out PBS’ Plum Landing series online for a great tree planting video and other fun ideas.
For more information on how to properly plant trees, and the importance of trees in our community, visit the KDB Resources Page and look under Urban Forestry.